Sleep is an essential function that allows our body and mind to recharge, leaving you refreshed and alert when you wake up the next morning. So a good night routine to help you get that all important sleep is vital for overall wellness
1) Research at the Mayo Clinic shows that adults shouldn’t have more than 400 mg of caffeine in a day, which is equivalent to four cups. Set a cut off period for 12 pm. It takes a while for caffeine to wear off, even if you don’t notice it. For optimal sleep, limit coffee to the early hours of the day.
2) The National Sleep Foundation recommends that you should stop using electronic devices, at least 60 minutes before bedtime. You’ll be impressed with how much more quickly you fall asleep and how much better you will feel the next day. Even better put your phone away in another room.
3) Chamomile tea contains antioxidants that may promote sleepiness, and drinking chamomile tea before bed has been shown to improve overall sleep quality. Just don’t forget to go to the loo before you hop into bed.
4) When you can’t sleep and your thoughts are racing, they may feel a little out of control. But when we write them down, we organize them and see them from a new point of view. Writing out your thoughts requires a deeper level of mental processing, more than simply thinking. Journaling helps us slow down, calm down, and put any challenges we’re facing in perspective.
5) The Shakti Mat is a very efficient tool when it comes to resolving tension and administering deep relaxation. People suffering from back pain, neck pain, stress, sciatica, insomnia, digestive problems, poor circulation, fatigue, cellulite and other disorders have benefited from using the Shakti Mat. You can pick one up fairly cheap on Amazon.com
Of course you can always book onto my ultimate relaxation Yin Yoga & Guided Meditation class on Tuesday nights too. Its a guaranteed night of deep yogic sleep